Saturday, December 31, 2011

Get Out Of Your Own Way


       So on Wednesday night my boyfriend and I went to a concert I'd really been wanting to go to for a while. Some of you may have heard of him...Mac Miller. Here's this 19 year old white kid who made YouTube videos to his songs he would record in his friend's basement. He got so many views that bloggers started writing about him, people starting subscribing to him online and now he's touring the world. And he's touring it without a record deal. This independent artist is calling the shots, making his own moves, and doing it all with his friends and his OWN crew of people. And just 2 months ago, with the help of Twitter and Facebook, he marketed his album so well that it hit number 1 on the Billboard charts...The first time an independent artist hit number one in the last 16 years. Whether you like his music or not, you have to respect the kid’s ambition. So, writing music, having your best friends standing on stage with you at every show, reaching millions of people, and being able to hear a large crowd singing the lyrics to your songs..all without restrictions, without someone telling you you need to, without any deadlines, or contracts. Talk about a life. And a life that I WANT.
       We arrived at House of Blues in Atlantic City around 7 PM. Once the doors opened, we found our way to a decent spot within a nice distance of the stage. I was grateful, considering I am barely 5'1 and I could actually see the stage. Despite drunken idiots almost falling over on us, weed smokers blowing smoke in our faces, and the occasional asshole trying to "excuse" his way in front of you so he could see better...we had a good time. Although, considering my boyfriend and I both have no tolerance for people being inappropriate, we were capable of keeping each other calm in the midst of people pulling at our last nerves. Nothing like two sober "don't take shit from anyone" people standing right in the middle of a sea of drunks.
       Once 9 PM hit, we heard people coming out on stage, but we were fooled. It was not Mac Miller, it was two dudes that were about to make our ears bleed. Two guys (one with a beanie on that said "Ape") rapped several songs that consisted of screaming one word into the microphone over and over and over. "BASS! BASS! BASS! BASS! HANDS! HANDS! HANDS!" we heard, with the occasional "click-clack" noise of a gun that the DJ would mix in. Anyone who knows my passion for my music can envision the look on my face. I was immediately filled with anger, resentment, jealousy, and somewhat humor. I looked back at my boyfriend and luckily he could read my lips: "Seriously?!" I mouthed to him as he rolled his eyes. He believes in me and appreciates my songs, so he too understood my bewilderment.
       I sincerely do not mean to be a hater but when you do certain music and then you hear someone giving it a bad name, butchering it, or totally being a talent-less smuck...you feel annoyed. Not only that but most importantly, I felt more so than ever "if THEY can do it, I can do it". . .So I stood there, cracking jokes about them and drinking my invisible bottle of justified haterade. Soon, the group was off stage and we impatiently awaited for Mac Miller to come on.
       As the curtains opened and one of my favorite songs "Best Day Ever" began...I was so excited. I grabbed my boyfriend's hand and was singing every lyric so loud that you could hear me over everyone surrounding us. As the concert went on and the heat in the room rose, my black long-sleeve shirt was now tied around my waist (thank God I wore a tank-top underneath), weed smoke filled the air, and both of our lungs hurt already. We suddenly looked at each other and realized "box seats next time". We were getting a little too old for the general admission tickets.
       Despite this realization, we continued to enjoy the concert. Mac sang a lot of our favorite songs, he even pulled out his guitar and played a Sublime song as we all sang along. At one point he stopped the music and went on to say that "Dreams come true". While he explained his journey of going from a no one to a someone and now being able to perform for us on the stage he stood on...I was touched. Call it corny, but I felt an overwhelming inspiration. I felt filled with light and possibility. And I remembered again, if those two idiots screaming one word for 3 minutes could somehow, some way, make it far enough to open for Mac...than why couldn't I do something similar? Or at the very least, why shouldn't I at least TRY?
       Before you knew it Mac was finishing the night on one of his biggest songs. "Hopefully, I'll be at the top soon...for now I'm at my house, on the couch, watching cartoons..." As the lights went out, the cheers rumbled the room. And as we quickly headed for the exit, I couldn't stop thinking to myself: "I. Want. To. Do. That."
       So maybe I'm over-achieving, maybe I'm biting off more than I can chew, maybe I'm reaching too high in the stars, maybe I'm getting my own hopes too high, maybe I'm expecting too much, maybe I'm not being people's version of "realistic". But why should I stop? Why should I throw my arms up and say "Oh well, too high of a goal" or "I'll just give it up, it's not "realistic" enough?" Do you think Mac Miller did that? No. Even those 2 idiots barely getting through a song before he came on probably believe in themselves enough that they created an opportunity to open up at a sold out show at the House of Blues. And it's not like I don't have the resources. I have the friends who are kind enough to send me instrumentals, I have the microphone, the studio headphones, the writing abilities, the passion, the voice, the access to studios and talented people, and call me cocky, but I know I have the talent. I will keep making songs, I will work on ensuring I have some legit music videos to post on YouTube in this coming year, I will find more people to collaborate with, I will promote myself, I will keep writing, I will keep singing, I will keep rapping, I will keep my hopes high, and I will believe in my passions in life. If we don't believe in what we love to do...than I ask, what is truly the point? Even if we don’t wind up fully making it exactly where we may have hoped, we can feel confident that our dreams are active in our lives. Even if I do stay at a 9 to 5 for the remainder of my life, I'll still have music to show my friends and friends of friends...I'll still have songs to work on in my spare time, I'll still have this blog for people to read,  I'll still have passion, and I'll never be able to say that my dreams aren't a part of my daily life. And THAT my friends, is the true point. Although we may not always make it precisely to where we want to go, we will never stand a chance if we don't actively pursue it.
       In a world where sometimes dreams come to die, you must fight to keep yours very much alive. And it's very true, the only real person in your way...is yourself. Don’t let your own self doubts stagger your growth. Don't live by anyone else's standards or expectations but your own. And no matter what, TRY.
       You want to write a book? Write it. You want to build an invention? Do it. You want to find that dream job? Start applying. You want to make music? Start singing. You want to play guitar? Teach yourself. You want to reach people? Start a blog. You want to follow your dreams? Start now. 
       So no matter how large or small of a goal, clear a path toward it, start walking, and get the hell out of your own way.



1 comment:

  1. E, you've done it again! This is definitely an excellent topic to touch on. Too many people will give up on their dreams simply because they seem to be unattainable. But who's to classify them as such? Like you said, look at these two knuckle heads who managed to open up at a sold out show. Anything in this world is possible. We've all got dreams and are able able to take steps towards them, even if they are baby steps. And everyone needs a hobby in life. Why not turn your dream into your hobby? That's why I admire you with the song writing and this here blog. And I have to say, you mentioning you own personal taste in music in the begining of this post and talking about these terrible "performers" on stage definitely brought back a great memory of you. You snatched up my headphones to hear what I was listening to in Ms. Zink's class (gotta love the name drop) and you looked at me in disgust. I can't quite remember what I was listening to at the time, but it was recently after I had retired The Blueprint 2 albums from my CD player. You were so upset that I could go from some quality music like Jay to this rubbish. I laughed my ass off, because even though I enjoyed it at the time it was truly absolute garbage. So I can certainly imagine just how you reacted to these bozos when they got on stage and started doing their thing. But I'll tell you what... Mac did his thing and he did it in his own way. Whether his type of music is your style or not, you must respect that. He had the balls to do it and he came from very humble beginings. I've been keeping my eye on someone who seems to be making those exact same moves... YOU! Keep up the good work Erika, keep rolling with this blog, and definitely keep rolling with your music. I'm looking forward to seeing some new videos out of you, or at the very least just hearing some tracks. You're the type of person who's got that drive and confidence in yourself to make something of it. For that reason I know you will! Might not be the big times and selling out MSG, but you'll get there. Go get 'em!

    ReplyDelete